This website uses cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. Find out more about our Cookie Policy.


Building Regulations

Building Regulations
Simon King
Start-up advice, Business development, Social media
Find out more about Simon King

In this article you’ll learn

  • When you need to comply with building regulations
  • How the Council can help you
  • Who to contact for further legal advice

If you’re making alterations to your business premises, putting in place an extension, or even building new premises, then you’ll need to comply with building regulations.

Your building work will require approval by an inspector either from your local authority building control department or an external approved inspector. Some changes of use of premises may also mean that the premises may need to comply with Building Regulations.

How Councils can help your business

Councils work to ensure that buildings are safe, healthy, accessible and sustainable for current and future generations. If you are contemplating undertaking any building work, the council will help you decide whether the project will require a planning permission and/or a building regulations application, these are two separate applications and must be applied for individually.

What do they offer?

  • Full advisory and approval service at design and construction stages on all matters relating to building works, including demolition
  • Advice on whether building regulations approval will be required for the works you are planning
  • Plan approval - Vetting of drawings to ensure compliance with building regulations including consultation with other interested parties e.g. The Fire Service
  • Site inspection - Undertake inspections at key stages in construction to ensure compliance with building regulations

Further information

Contact the appropriate council where your business is located:

The following councils are part of the North Yorkshire Building Control Partnership:

Hambleton DC, Richmondshire DC, Ryedale DC, Scarborough BC and Selby DC

Suite 2, Coxwold House, Easingwold Business Park, Easingwold, York, YO61 3FB

phone: (01347) 822703: email:

City of York Council

West Offices, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

phone: (01904) 551354 /551333 email:

Craven District Council

Building Control Team, 1 Belle Vue Square, Broughton Road, Skipton, North
Yorkshire, BD23 1FJ

phone: (01756)706469 email:

Harrogate Borough Council

Harrogate Borough Council, Planning Services, PO Box 787, Harrogate HG1 9RW

phone: (01423) 500600 email:

East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Building Control, County Hall, Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU17 9BA

phone: 01482 393800 email:

Further Information

Planning Portal

Building Regulations Approval

Party Wall Act: Explanatory Booklet

Local Authority Building Control

Regulations eBook CTA


This article takes you through when you'll need building regulations, how the council can help you and who to contact for further help.