This website uses cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. Find out more about our Cookie Policy.


Business Rates

Business Rates
Simon King
Start-up advice, Business development, Social media
Find out more about Simon King

In this article you’ll learn

  • When you need to pay business rates
  • How the Council can help you
  • Who to speak to for further legal advise

If you’re occupying a business premises, then you’ll need to pay business rates to your local council. Even if you are working from home, the part of your property used for business may be liable to business rates. Small business relief may be available in some circumstances. If you are moving to a different premise you can find out the rateable value by contacting your local council or using the Valuation Office Agency.

How Councils can help your business

Occupiers of non-domestic properties pay non-domestic rates (often known as business rates) which contribute towards the cost of local services which support your business. The councils collect business rates and this money then goes towards paying for the services provided by your council, the county council, the Police and Crime Commissioner and the Fire and Rescue Authority.

What do they offer?

  • Advise you on how much you will have to pay, if you have a particular property in mind
  • Ensure that you receive any relief or exemption that you are entitled to
  • They will set up an account for you and give the maximum available number of instalments for payment
  • Advise on the best way to pay your business rates

Further Information

Contact the council where your business is located:

City of York Council

West Offices building, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

phone: (01904) 551553: email:

Hambleton DC

Hambleton District Council, Civic Centre, Stone Cross, Northallerton, North Yorkshire DL6 2UU

phone: (01609) 779977: email:

Harrogate BC

Harrogate Borough Council, Planning Services, PO Box 787, Harrogate, HG1 9RW

phone: (01423) 500600 ask for Business Rates

Richmondshire DC

Mercury House, Station Road, Richmond, North Yorkshire, DL10 4JX

phone: (01748) 829100 email:

Craven DC

Planning Department, Belle Vue Mills, Broughton Road, Skipton, North Yorkshire BD23 1FJ

phone: (01756) 706470: email:

Ryedale DC

Ryedale House, Malton, North Yorkshire, YO17 7HH

phone: (01653) 600666 ext. 650 email:

Scarborough BC

Local Taxation, Town Hall, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO11 2HG

phone: 01723 232323 email:

Selby DC

In Person - Access Selby, 8-10 Market Cross, Selby, YO8 4JS

phone: (01757) 705101: email:

East Riding of Yorkshire

Planning and Building Control, East Riding of Yorkshire Council, County Hall, Beverley, HU1 7BA

phone: (01482) 393792: email:

Valuation Office Agency

Regulations eBook CTA