This website uses cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. Find out more about our Cookie Policy.


Planning Permission

Planning Permission
Simon King
Start-up advice, Business development, Social media
Find out more about Simon King

In this article you’ll learn

  • When you planning permission may be necessary
  • How Councils can help your business

Many types of building work will require planning permission – such as relocation, new build, conversion or expansion of your business resulting in extension to buildings or site. It can also apply if you are wanting to use your premises for more and different activities

Some other examples may include the change of use of land or putting up adverts to promote your business.

How Councils can help your business

It is recommended that you contact your Local Council planning service before you submit a planning application to build, extend or convert a property to suit the needs of your business.

Pre-application advice can help identify any problems with your scheme before plans are submitted and may be able to give an indication of the likely outcome of your planning application.

The planning rules do vary from area to area so it is important you contact the council where your premises is located.

What do they offer?

  • Advice on whether a planning application is necessary
  • Checks on the permitted use of a premises
  • Assistance in finding if existing planning permissions have conditions attached to them which may restrict their use
  • Advice when you are considering new build, extensions to existing buildings or changes of use of land or buildings which typically would require planning permission
  • Information to help businesses negotiate the planning process
  • Consultation on planning applications with other statutory or non-statutory bodies
  • Help with planning problems

Further information

Contact the local council where your business is located:

City of York Council

West Offices building, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA

phone: (01904) 551553: email:

Harrogate BC

Harrogate Borough Council, Planning Services, PO Box 787, Harrogate, HG1 9RW

phone: (01423) 500600 ask for Planning Enquiries


Hambleton DC

Hambleton District Council, Civic Centre, Stone Cross, Northallerton, North Yorkshire DL6 2UU

phone: (01609) 779977 email:

Craven DC

Planning Department, Belle Vue Mills, Broughton Road, Skipton, North Yorkshire BD23 1FJ

phone: (01756) 706470: email:

Richmondshire DC

Mercury House, Station Road, Richmond, North Yorkshire, DL10 4JX

phone: (01748) 829100 email:

Ryedale DC

Ryedale House, Malton, North Yorkshire, YO17 7HH

phone: (01653) 600666 email:

Scarborough BC

Customer First Centre, Town Hall, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO11 2HG

phone: 01723 232323 email:

Selby DC

In Person - Access Selby, 8-10 Market Cross, Selby, YO8 4JS

phone: (01757) 705101: email:

East Riding of Yorkshire

Planing and Development Management, East Riding of Yorkshire Council,

County Hall, Beverley, HU17 9BA

phone: (01482) 393792 email:


If you want information on how to appeal against a planning decision go to:

Regulations eBook


Planning permission may be required for various types of building work and the change of land or putting up adverts. If you need guidance with handling this, you should speak to your local Council.