This website uses cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. Find out more about our Cookie Policy.


Protection from Pollution

Protection from Pollution
Simon King
Start-up advice, Business development, Social media
Find out more about Simon King

In this article you’ll learn

  • How acting in a socially and environmentally responsible way can benefit your business
  • How Councils can help your business dealing with this

Many business activities are carefully regulated to ensure they do not cause short or long term damage to the environment. To stop you from falling foul of the law, councils and the Envionment Agency regulate such activities.

Businesses who act in a socially and environmentally responsible way have found that this can positively affect profitability and the long term success of their business.

How Councils can help your business

Much of guidance and advice you need to ensure that your business is compliant with environmental regulations is specialist. It is advisable to seek advice from your local authority, the environment agency or your water provider to ensure you know fully what it is you need to do to be compliant.

Councils can help you comply with relevant legal requirements and support you in the development of good working practices: They provide advice and information which is particularly suitable if you are starting a business or thinking of moving your business to different premises or area. Officers are available to support your business in complying with a wide range of environmental protection and pollution control legislation including - Contaminated land, noise, industrial pollution, private water supplies and air quality management.

What do they offer?

  • Environmental Protection officers are available to support your business in complying with the relevant legislation relating to pollution control.
  • They can advise on measures you can take to control such activities
  • They are statutory consultees for planning and licensing applications
  • They can advise on energy savings
  • Issue authorisations and permits for certain industrial processes.

Note: for pollution control in a watercourse you should contact the Environment Agency.

Further information

Contact the appropriate authority where your business is located:

City of York Council

Eco Depot, Hazel Court, York, YO10 3DS

phone: (01904) 551525: email:

Hambleton District Council

Hambleton District Council. Civic Centre, Stone Cross, Northallerton, North Yorkshire, DL6 2UU

phone: 01609 779977 email:

Selby District Council

Civic Centre, Doncaster Road, Selby, North Yorkshire, YO8 9FT

phone: (01757) 705101: email:

Craven District Council

Environmental Protection, 1 Belle Vue Square, Broughton Road, Skipton, North Yorkshire, BD23 1FJ

phone: (01756) 706255 email:

Scarborough Borough Council

Environmental Regulation Team, Environmental Services, Town Hall, St Nicholas Street, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO11 2HG

phone: (01723) 232323 email:

East Riding of Yorkshire

County Hall, Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU17 9BA

phone: (01482) 396301 email:

Ryedale District Council

Ryedale House, Malton, North Yorkshire, YO17 7HH

phone: (01653) 600666 email:

Harrogate Borough Council

Harrogate Borough Council, PO Box 787, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG1 9RW

phone: (01423) 500600 and ask for Environmental Protection:


Richmondshire District Council

Environmental Health (Scientific Services), Mercury House, Station Road, Richmond, North Yorkshire DL10 4JX

phone: (01748) 829100: email:

Further Information

The Environment Agency’s Business Pages

Pollution Prevention Guidance Docs from the Environment Agency


If the authority decides to refuse a permit, a business can appeal to the government. A business can also appeal if it has received a permit but does not agree with any of the conditions.

Regulations eBook



Many business activities are carefully regulated to prevent long damage to the environment. If you're concerned about the effects your business may have socially or environmentally, you should contact your local council.